Saturday, August 01, 2009

Hungry Like The Wolf


This morning, while walking Beans in the canyon next to my new Burbank home, we nearly became the breakfast of THREE coyotes. *gulp*

Realizing that Beans wasn't the least bit aware of our dangerous situation (at least he didn't run towards them as if they were long lost friends), I panicked on his behalf. Without a cell phone, I had no one to call. I was completely unarmed! (I picked up an oh-so-intimidating pine-cone and considered tossing it at them, but I was scared that the coyotes would want to play fetch or something.) And so, I did what a frightened individual would naturally do. I ran. So did Beans. But when we did, they did.

Scared that we wouldn't be able to out run the coyotes (they were 8 feet away), I decided to face them and stopped in place. I stood as tall as I could and shouted "NO! NO! NO!" repeatedly and angrily, at the top of my lungs. I also swung my arms around as if I were swinging the Zorro sword. The pack stopped, so Beans and I tried to run towards the top of the hill once again. Only, when we did that, the coyotes picked up their pace too and once again began to run towards us. *heart thumping* I visualized our lil' bodies - mine, in my too-short-for-public running shorts and Beans' plump furry bod - sprawled across the canyon floor, bloody and mauled. And as I did so, I realized that I'd have to stop again and continue to show the coyotoes who's the boss by shouting at the coyotes and wave my arms at them like mad woman - while walking away as quickly as possible, backwards.

We made it back up the hill intact - at least today. So much for the beautiful morning walks. We're going to have to stick to less scenic options. Such a pity :o(

4 comments:

Joe said...

I'm glad that you guys are OK. That's one helluva story. Your composure is impressive. You might consider bringing bear mace and/or a walking stick(probably better).

Anonymous said...

I changed my mind: air horn

madge said...

this is the most traumatic thing i've ever read! oh jeez!

kimberlina said...

so frightening!! the air horn sounds like a really great idea, if you wanted to venture forth again. eeeeek! i'm getting shivers.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails