Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Minnesota Nice


Minnesota, the land of 10,000 lakes, is actually home to over 10,000 plus lakes. The cougar cub pointed out the state’s numerous “puddles” (as John references them) to me as our plane was coming to a landing. Interestingly enough, during the course of my stay in Minnesota, my lake count totaled a pathetic ONE.

My Fourth of July weekend was anything but pathetic. It was chock-full of expectedly-interesting and exciting moments.

For starters, I met the parents. In fact, not only did I meet them, I stayed at their home. Josh’s parents could not have been more hospitable. His freakishly buff father (I really did not mean to look, but since he sports a wife-beater at home, the sight was unavoidable) shared cute tidbits about Josh’s early years. My cougar cub was, apparently, a “free-spirited” child. Hee-hee. His incredibly sweet mother cooked for us several times over the course of the weekend. While the results were simultaneously tasty and healthy, I wasn’t all that surprised by the pleasing outcome, for Josh whips up similar recipes back in LA! I think the cougar cub has a lot of his mama in him. And that’s a good thing.

Another highlight was the time spent drinking, barbequing, and Rock Band-ing with Josh’s fantabulous Minnesotan friends. (Alan, Julie, Billy, Amanda, Diana, Kyongdo, Matt, Albert, Venora, Mai, Cory, Jessica, Andrea, Dave, and Mary.) I’d heard so much about each and every single one of them and was looking forward to finally meeting them in the flesh.

On our first evening there, we hung out in “uptown” Minneapolis (which is, ironically, south of downtown) at a bar called Stella’s. Julie ordered fried cheese curds, and I had my first taste. The following day, the 4th, was spent pigging out at Mai & Cory’s. Alongside usual Fourth of July BBQ fare like burgers and sausages, Mai served vodka-infused watermelon and Mai’s homemade triple chocolate cupcakes. Mmm. T’was a wonderful way to start Independence Day. With full bellies, Josh, Albert, and I then hit up Amy & Julie’s parent’s home for more Fourth of July fun. I watched Josh attempt (yes, attempt) to play badminton and then watched everyone else play a strange, and somewhat dangerous, game of badminton-volleyball. We then gathered around the driveway at dusk to watch celebratory fireworks. I wish they set them off to sound… The evening ultimately came to a rocking conclusion at Alan and Julie’s turtle-filled apartment (they’ve got four huge ones) with one of Josh’s all-time favorite activities, Rock Band. I’m proud to announce that I’m now a medium-level bass player. Thanks to the encouragement of Alan and Matt 

And then there was the wedding of Billy and Amanda—the reason for the trip out in the first place. See the above scanned comic strip that Billy’s friend whipped up. Isn’t their story amaaazing? (Josh insists that I enjoy telling the story of their meeting more than he does.) Their wedding, Hawaiian-themed, was casual and fun. How casual and how fun? The bride and groom were throwing water balloons at guests!

I have yet to hear back from Josh as to whether or not I “passed” and gained their stamp of approval, but whether or not they enjoyed spending time with me aside, I really enjoyed spending time with them. Considerate, witty, fun-loving, peeps. I wish they all lived closer.

Doodle to be posted. Scanner's acting up. Grr.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome story! I did the proper with S a couple of weeks ago. Now add to the equation me acting as a interpreter between S and my parents :)
Your favourite spaniard

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails