Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Little by Little One Travels Far


Untitled works of Olive Huang. 2013. Crayon. 
Abstract expressionist in the making. I love it.

For as long as I could remember, I've had but three big hopes and dreams. They are, and have always been, in no particular, as follows: (1) To have a dog, (2) To have a baby, and (3) To write and illustrate a children's book. I've got one and two of my seemingly feasible list ticked off, my number three has proven more difficult than I imagined. When inspired, I go nuts scribbling and jotting down everything that comes to mind. When done with my brain dump, I feel proud and accomplished. Days later, I revisit these same notes, and more often than not, I find problems with each and every idea I'd come up with. "It's not new. It's not fresh. I don't love it. Moving on." I've got a problem. I'm SEWIOUS. (If you have a moment, watch this.) I'm suffering from a crippling creative block. I'm in dire need of inspiration. And so, I turn to Olive.

All I have to do is listen to this toddler and I'll have an unlimited supply of fodder for children's books, right? Having her is like having a factory! Um, yeah, NO. The little nut isn't speaking yet - at least not in proper English - so I'm just going to have to remain patient. Everything has its own time. But it's coming... First words will soon become first sentences. And Mama's going to make the most of it all. 

Blog post title is a quote by J. R. R. Tolkien

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails