Wednesday, August 14, 2013

On the Side

Some artwork I can't afford to buy by one of my idols, Barry McGee

The purpose of this blog is to waste cyber space as well as physical space. To that end, I think I'm doing a pretty good job. I blabber on about babies and post borderline offensive doodles of boobies, but there's much more to what I've been up to than well, baby and boobs. I've got work-work, and while I haven't shared much about my side-projects here in the past, I think it's high-time I start.

Though my background is in finance and animation (a peculiar but lovely combo) I've always taken an interest in home renovation projects. "Taken an interest in" is to put it lightly. Upon graduating from film school (and newly-pregnant with Olive), I ran the home and apartment renovation arm of boutique real estate development firm, Local Construct. (Read more about what they do here.) During my year with the company, I oversaw the transformation of 10 homes and 4 eight-unit apartment buildings here in Los Angeles - staging the properties to sell/lease once they were completed. Not bad for a knocked-up lady, let alone any lady.

Once my little one was born, I tried to get back into the groove of work, but doing so made me sad. I'd drive to the office and secretly cry in the ladies room. Who knew I'd be one with so many feelings. I ended up accepting the fact that I couldn't have it all, and quit my job when my baby was 3 months-old.

Fast forward to today, Olive is now a full-blown, happy toddler, aged 20 months. She's much more manageable, and I'm finally able to take-on renovation projects again. With the help of a sitter - three days a week - I'm trying my best to make things happen.

My latest project is a 1960s duplex located in the desirable area of Silver Lake. I've decided to name her "Maltman." Here are some shots of the babe in all her fixer glory. We're talking roofing, plumbing, electrical, foundation and cosmetic fixes for two units. The upper unit offers 3 beds, 2 baths, and 1 powder room while the lower unit offers 2 beds and 2 baths.


Here's Maltman from the street.
Her curb appeal at the moment may be minimal, but that's going to change.

Entryway of the upper unit. It's got great light.


The spacious (hehehe) 8.5 foot-wide kitchen for the upper unit.


The brightly-lit (do you sense my sarcasm?) master bath complete with turquoise tub and bidet.


We're going bright and airy. Lots of white with touches of black and charcoal for contrast. Open, modern, relaxed with an industrial and vintage twist. Follow-up posts to come.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails