Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Fun and Fat-Filled Weekend

I could not have picked a more perfect weekend to visit New York. The weather this past weekend was gorgeous! Friends were quick to point out that such weather was misleading and even deceiving since only a weekend ago, New Yorkers were melting and dying due to a nasty heat wave. Choosing to block out the reality that the weather in Manhattan year-round is generally awful, I chose to spend this past weekend dreaming of what-could-have-been had I never moved away. I’ll always “heart” New York. In spite of the crappy weather.

The Bang-Chung wedding. Dave and Eliza’s ceremony was held at St. Paul’s Chapel. Most memorable: angry 4 year-old ring bearer frowned his entire way down the aisle, awkward unsolicited marriage counseling from pastor Lawrence Kim, and finally, Eliza dabbing her tears and Dave’s as they exchanged their vows. Short but sweet, the ceremony ended with the bridal party exiting the chapel as a pianist pounded out U2’s “One.” Charming!

Mmm-mmm good. It’s hard to go wrong in New York when it comes to food. Despite the brevity of my stay, I found time to dine at a few of my favorites. Few of the places I’m about to mention would make the must-eat lists of professional foodies, but this amateur hoover doesn’t care. Simple foods served in non-fussy environments make me happy. Couple of recommendations: Serafina (lobster salad, thin-crust pizza, crème brulee), Isabella’s (brunch there is always good), Magnolia Bakery (classic vanilla cupcakes, banana pudding, red velvet cake), Crif Dog’s (BLT dog), and The Coffee Shop (bok choy salad and fries). And had I had enough time? Nobu (everything, please), Lenny’s Bagels (ali-baba bagel w/ cream cheese), and Kee’s Chocolates (green tea, hazelnut praline, black sesame). Whew. What a mouthful.

When not stuffing my face, I managed to spend quality-time with Tiff, Jen, Bruce and Jonathan (much time spent laughing at other people...we're all going to hell), browse both the Annex Flea Market in Chelsea as well as the 77th and Columbus Ave. Flea Market (picked up some lovely letterpressed stationery from one Richard Meneely), check out a couple of galleries in the Meatpacking District (www.hpgrpgallery.com), and of course, shop the latest wares at Barney’s (my mothership). As I darted about the city, I kept thinking how cool it would be to have a Sartorialist sighting when in town, but no luck. Maybe next time.

Back in the Bay and glad to be…

P.S. Sketches to be posted.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails