Saturday, March 07, 2009

Rest in Peace



I chat with my parents pretty often. Once a week, at very least. Anyhow, earlier today, my mom and I were talking about death. My beloved Aya's passing has the entire family thinking about life after death, and since my family's pretty open to chatting about pretty much anything, my morbid mommy and I started talking about our preferences with regards to death. Yes, you heard me.

So I really don't want to die drowning. I'd rather burn than drown. My mom thinks it doesn't matter how one dies and that it's the follow-up that matters.

Should she pass (knock-on-wood), she'd like to avoid having any sort of big ceremony planned around her. She would, however, like a little plot at which her remains would be stored, er, housed? She'd like a photo placed by her ashes, and she wants me and my brother to kow-tow to her three times each time we stop on by to say "hi."

Should I pass (knock-on would), I'd like for my loved ones to throw a little party. Must-haves include cake and a pinata. I too, would like to be cremated, but please, don't toss me in a lake/ocean/deep body of water...

Oh yeah. During this strange conversation, my mom and I also discussed suicide. We both agreed that we're both too happy in life (even when complaining) to consider taking our own lives. And with that said, my mom said to me (not in these exact words, but close), "If you should find me dead one day without explanation, you must investigate! It is probably MURDER! Not suicide." Hmm. I think my cutie mommy needs to lay off suspense films for a while.

Happy rest of the weekend...

3 comments:

Ali said...

Smiles. I went to a great funeral once, the guy who had died had a huge personality, he'd been a DJ and a massive football fan the church was full of people in their best 'going out clothes', no black,they played his favourite tunes anstead of hymns and everyone sang along, after the funeral there was a huge party, it was a real celebration of his life and his loves, that's what I'd like x

.......... said...

Sounds like this guy's friends really knew him. Incredible. Thanks for sharing :)

kimberlina said...

awww, your mom sounds absolutely adorable. i like that you can speak so openly about death - it can be such a taboo subject around families, including my own.

your pinata idea is lovely!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails