Saturday, February 07, 2009

The Reviews Are In



After sketching stuffed animals (not toys) all morning at the Museum of Natural History, a couple of my classmates and I braved the rare LA rain and hit-up the Arclight in Hollywood to watch "Coraline" in 3-D.

As expected, the feature was a feast for the eyes. Flat-out gorgeous! I'd seen all the marketing materials generated by the clever folks at Wieden-Kennedy and knew that I'd be pleased with the aesthetics of the film, but the folks at Laika did such an incredible job working the models in this film, that viewers are likely to forget that the movie was done in stop-motion.

Although I felt that parts of the story could've been improved upon (the search for the ghost children's eyes was so "blah"!), I think that Henry Selick and his crew did a truly brilliant job presenting Neil Gaiman's novella in an appropriately-dark-and-disturbing fashion.

A must-see.

1 comment:

Tobias Schwarz said...

hey, nice blog!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails